he two year course is aimed at students looking for design led practical skills development and a successful career in interior design, exhibition and retail design, shop fitting, furniture design, product design and design engineering.
Who is this course for?
The course will give students the skills and confidence needed to gain employment in areas such as interior design, shop fitting, furniture design, retail and exhibition design, product design and design engineering by building a portfolio of skills useful to potential employers.
Students will also gain the skills to work on product development and be able to use relevant software with 2D and 3D CNC machinery by designing and making; and have the necessary skills and experience to prepare marketing images and information to promote an idea, product or company. The course would give students the opportunity to enrol on a Level 6 (final year of a degree) in a range of courses including furniture, product and interior design, design engineering etc.
The two year course starts with a generic skills based first year, the second year would allow students to specialise in either furniture, product and engineering or interior and spatial design.
The second year Product, Furniture, Engineering
The second year Interior, and Spatial Design
Skills & Experience Gained
- Researching and developing ideas in 2D & 3D
- Use industry standard CNC router and appropriate software
- Laser cutting and using 3D printing
- Practical understanding and experience of the design process through projects.
- Ability to set and use fixed wood working machinery.
- Experience and experiment with a range of workshop techniques including timber laminating and working with sheet materials, vacuum forming and mould making.
- Design drawing and plan drawings.
- The ability to use industry specification ; design, drawing and visualising software including Photoshop, 3DStudioMax, 2D Design, AutoCAD and Solid works.
- Ability to design and prepare relevant marketing materials using Photoshop.
- Work on ‘live’ projects and with industry.
Progression after the course